Monday, October 25, 2010

2010 Tour of Stadiums: UVA - Scott Stadium

This post is coming a little late, but as you all know I'm going on an east coast tour of stadiums.  And yes, that tour included a trip to Charlottesville to visit all the Hoos down in Hooville.  

Scott Stadium Stats:
Name: Scott Stadium (aka Enemy Territory...no for real, when people found out I was going here for Homecoming I was told the following: Give back your diploma, Traitor & OMG! GET OUT OF MY LIFE!)
Date opened: 1931
Largest crowd – 64,947 (vs. Southern California in 2008.  UVA lost 7-52, ouchie.)
Renovated in: 2000

Okay, so here's the deal.  These are my friends Tom & Sarah.  And I happen to love them both so much that I'll go to UVA homecoming just to spend time with them.  And they happen to love me enough to still be my friend when I show up wearing a UNC shirt......


Here's what I learned about "how to be cool" at UVA:
  • There is no need to get into the stadium in time for kickoff.  I was freaking out when it was after 6pm and the tailgate party showed no signs of slowing down.  I was informed that no one gets to the stadium in time for kickoff.  Oh, okay.  When we got there, UVA was down 17-3.
  • There is no need to stand up and cheer for the team as loudly as I do at Ohio State or Virginia Tech.  Yes, I did root for UVA, but I was actually in the way for the people behind me and asked to sit down.
  • All the cool kids stand on "The Hill" to watch the game.  I've actually always wanted to do this and almost didn't get a chance, but I forced Tom & Sarah to take me over there so I could say I watched a game standing on the hill.  The truth is that it's a little difficult to stand on a decline, but all in all I'm glad I got the chance to do it.
  • When UVA scores a touchdown (keep in mind I only got to witness this one time since they only scored once) everyone puts their arms around each other and sings a song.  I didn't do this.  Sorry people, I have to draw the line somewhere.
  • And finally, UVA kids actually know how to tailgate.  Hard.  At Tailgate #1 Dave Tesh showed me his special Tailgate Chest which contained shot glasses, mixers and 2 bottles of alcohol.  At Tailgate #2 there was a massive amount of pre-game beverages, beer pong, flat screen TV's and most importantly a dance party.  (So what if the dance party was sometimes a single dance party just by me?)
All in all, it was a great trip with great friends!
Dave & his Tailgate Chest
UVA Band @ halftime (We left shortly after this...)
The Hill
Me watching the game from The Hill - in a UNC t-shirt, OSU Sweatshirt & Jeggings.  I was popular....

No comments: