Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pass the Tums, please

I was just doing a little strolling on espn.com and was somehow directed to this link, which shows the ESPN game lineup for 2010.  (Go ahead and bookmark it because it will be updated every week)

I then got this horrible feeling in my stomach when I saw officially in writing that the Hokies are opening against Boise State.  Granted I think it's awesome that my little VT team gets to play this kick-ass game at FedEx field on Sept. 4, but I can't help but feel a little apprehensive.  Why is it that we always open our season against ranked teams?  Let's take a little trip down history lane...

2004 - Va. Tech vs. USC @ FedEx. Field.  Really Michael Vick?  We have to open against one of the strongest football teams in the country?  We lost.  It was a sad way to start the season.
      *Please Note: USC won the National Championship this year

2007 - Va. Tech vs. LSU @ Death Valley.  Oh really?  Tech drowned against the Tigers in this game (48-7...I just threw up in my mouth)  It was a sick way to start the season.
      *Please Note: LSU won the National Championship this year

2009 - Va. Tech vs. Alabama.  Okay, the Hokies actually had a chance in this one.   But the commentators quickly reminded everyone watching (over and over and over again) that "Virginia Tech can't keep up with the SEC."  Well no we can't if you don't have faith in us!  Jeeeeez!  I think we lost that one because everyone kept saying we would.  
     *Please Note: Alabama won the National Championship this year

Do you see a pattern?  Do you see why I'm walking around work looking for some Tums right now?  Someone find me some Xanax for this game. Starting another season opening to a Top 5 ranked team.  Go Tech, GO!

No comments: