Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Heismans ARE for girls


In one month, 3 college football players will gather in New York City with their coaches, families and previous Heisman trophy winners to crown this years' winner. (Yes I said "crown"...Heismans are for GIRLS!)
It's one of my favorite nights of the year, and definitely tromps the annually boring grammy awards.

The Heisman Trophy is awarded each year to the most outstanding collegiate football player of the year. It's sort of a big deal.

You can pretty much find me every Saturday striking the "Heisman pose" any time one of my favorite players makes a great play. There's something about kicking your leg up and protecting a fake football that substantiates a good play.

There's sometimes controversy involved - I mean, OJ Simpson won the Heisman when he played at USC, it doesn't get much more controversial than OJ.
And of course, there's the controversy with players that win it more than once. Granted, that "controversy" may only be experienced by Ohio State fans......
So, let's be honest. Only one player has ever won the Heisman Trophy twice. And...well, he's a Buckeye. We feel very strongly about our boy, Archie Griffin, keeping that title. (So strongly that my dad has said to me that if anyone ever wins it twice, it will "taint" the Heisman for him...he's extreme) I semi-disagree but do think that the next person to win it twice needs to completely knock my socks off. I've just set a high standard, good luck to all trying to achieve it.

This year's race has been all over the map from the beginning of the season. We started out strongly with the top 3 as Tim Tebow (Fla.), Sam Bradford (Okla.) and Colt McCoy (Texas). But give yourself 10 weeks and now we're looking at a new crew of boys: Mark Ingram (Alabama) Colt McCoy (Texas) and Case Keenum (Houston).
We've got 7 weeks left in the season and a lot to prove.

Make sure to tune in Saturday December 12 to the Heisman Trophy Ceremony on ESPN.

No comments: