Friday, March 11, 2011

Turning a new leaf

Nope, you're wrong.  I'm NOT going to comment about Jim Tressell's suspension.  And I'm not going to comment about the possible allegations at Oregon.  I'm sick, sick, sick of all this mess.  It's ridiculous and terrible.

Instead, I'm going to make a very serious confession:
I. watched. a. College. Basketball. Game.

I mean, I REALLY watched it.  As in, went to my fave game-watching location in Richmond with my dad on Sunday (Love me some Home Team Grill) decked out in OSU gear, ate chicken fingers, drank Blue Moon and cheered.  I guess it also didn't hurt that Ohio State beat the pants off of Wisconsin...

There's a lot of fun things to consider when watching college basketball (a sensible championship system, weather-control, only 2 half's) but here are a few areas where I think it's lacking:

Camaraderie - There really isn't a "tailgating" scene in basketball.  It's winter, after all.  So, I think you miss out on all of the fun and smack-talk that happens before and after games.

Week-day games - Football games are on Saturdays (with a Thursday night game thrown in here and there...) Basketball games are mostly during the week.  For example, Ohio State plays today at noon. Um, hello?  I'm going to miss the game due to a little thing I like to call, work.  Fail on Basketball's part.

Number of games - I mean, 3-4 games a week is exhausting for fans!

That being said, I feel I've turned a corner in the fact that I watched an entire game and really enjoyed it.  I MIGHT even pay to be in a bracket this year....Come on, I said MIGHT!

No comments: